Everybody STOP! Right now. Watch this video.
So while watching this awesome video I got to thinking about Disney Princesses. I have always said that Belle was my favorite, but I had never really thought about why.
So here are some reasons why I love Belle.
- She reads: Belle loves books so much so that when there is nothing else, she reads the same ones over and over. And she reads while walking through the village. She is more than just a beauty, she is a brain too. I admire this about her because most of the Disney Princesses don't show this quality at all.
- She loves her father: When Maurice gets taken by The Beast, Belle offers to be kept hostage in his place. Belle is a young girl who is proposing to stay locked in a castle with a beast for the rest of her life because she would rather be in that very scary situation than to have her father there. That is pretty amazing to me.
- She doesn't care what others think about her: Belle is weird. And I know she knows it. She has to be able to hear the people singing about her as she strolls down the street. But she doesn't care. She is different. She loves to read in a world where is unacceptable for women to read, but she doesn't try to hide it. She lives with a crazy inventor of a father but she embraces him and appreciates the life he created for them. People talk but Belle just doesn't care!
- She wants more from life than to be a pretty wife: <--Ha that rhymed! Belle says/sings "There must be more than this provincial life" several times throughout the movie. When Gaston wants to marry her only because she is beautiful, she acts like he is ridiculous. She wants more than that from life, even though most girls swoon over Gaston and would give anything to be his wife.
- She doesn't care about outward appearance: Most princes in Disney movies are
handsomedrop-dead knock-outs (by cartoon standards), but the beast is not only ugly, but also downright scary in appearance. Though, Belle is a little hesitant at first, she doesn't stereotype. She believes the Beast can be kind despite his appearance and falls in love with this hideous character.
So basically, I have come to the conclusion that not only do I like Belle the best, but I think we could all learn something from her. Or at least we could learn more from her than some of the other Disney Princesses who portray other roles and goals for women.
And I'll leave you with a picture of Belle from 'Once Upon a Time'.
Isn't she lovely? If you don't watch it, you totally should!
Which is your favorite Disney Princess?