Yesterday, Heather from My Little HEA posted about the Literary Ladies Summer Book Challenge and I was sort of intrigued. There were only 10 books and the categories seemed pretty lenient. AND the challenge lasts the whole summer. It goes until September 21st, which seems so far away but I know it will be here quick.
Anyway, I found the Literary Ladies on Goodreads and joined the group. I decided to join the challenge but, as I've said a couple times on this blog already, I'm going to be really busy throughout July and the beginning of August. So I'm setting my own goal to read at least the 3 "mandatory" categories and Someday, Someday, Maybe because I'm in the middle of that one right now. Hopefully I'll be able to read more, but that's my goal. So here are my picks...
- A YA book (mandatory) - The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I've been wanting to read this one for a while but it just keeps getting pushed back.
- Non US Author (mandatory) - Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl. Can you believe I've never read it! I decided I wanted to read it this summer before I decided to do this challenge because I've been loving WWII and Holocaust fiction lately (The Book Thief, Number the Stars, Margot, and The Storyteller) and I resolved to read at least 5 nonfiction books in 2015. I'm glad I found a place to fit it into this challenge.
- A book that was recommended by a blogger (mandatory) - The Happy Wives Club by Fawn Weaver (recommended by Amberly). I was planning to read this one with the Meaningful Marriage Book Club at the beginning of this year but I go to about chapter 8 and stopped. There was no real reason except that I got so far behind schedule that I gave up on catching up. So now I'll read it at my own pace.
- A book that has been on your TBR list for a year or more - The Princess Bride by William Goldman.
- A book with a kick-butt female character - Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. I saw this on goodreads before it actually came out and was intrigued.
- A book that will be a movie (or TV show) - The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel
- A book written by a comedian or celebrity - Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
- A book with a one word title - Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- A suspenseful book - a mystery, a thriller, a book about revenge - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- A book about Summer, with Summer in the title - That Summer by Lauren Willig
What are you planning to read for the summer?
Linking up with The Kay Times.